Applying for a Non-Immigrant Visa (Student Visa) To US

Applicants for student visas should generally apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence. Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence.

Required Documentation

Please refer to the U.S. Department of State Web site:
F-1 Students
J-1 Exchange Visitors
You should also consult your U.S. embassy or consulateto see if there are any additional country-specific visa application requirements.

VISA Interview

Student visa applicants must establish to the satisfaction of the consular officer that they have binding ties to a residence in a foreign country which they have no intention of abandoning, and that they will depart the United States when they have completed their studies. It is impossible to specify the exact form the evidence should take since applicants' circumstances vary greatly. For certain countries, the U.S. Consulate will take from 20-30 days before issuing a visa. You will need to include this delay in your travel plans.

10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Non-immigrant VISA - Please see the NAFSA Web site.

U.S. Port of Entry

Applicants should be aware that a visa does not guarantee entry into the United States. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) has authority to deny admission. Also, the period for which the bearer of a student visa is authorized to remain in the United States is determined by the USCBP, not the consular officer. At the port of entry, a USCBP official validates Form I-94, Record of Arrival-Departure, which notes the length of stay permitted.