How To Apply US Visa in Canada

A person present in the U.S. from a country other than Canada (referred to in this document as a third country national or TCN) who wishes to apply for a non-immigrant visa in Canada must make an appointment for a visa interview. Applications are not taken on a walk-in basis. U.S. consular offices can be found in Calgary, Halifax, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Toronto, and Vancouver.
If you are in the U.S. and wish to schedule an appointment, call 1-900-443-3131. In Canada call 1-900-451-2778. This is a toll charge, the cost of which will be reflected on your telephone bill. If you wish to charge the cost of your call to a credit card, you may schedule an appointment by calling toll free 1-888-840-0032. Operators are available from 7 am to 10 pm EST.

You may also schedule an appointment via the Internet at There is a charge, which will be charged to your credit card.
After your appointment is scheduled, you will be mailed an application form and an information sheet for the consulate where you will be applying for the visa. You may not call the individual office directly to schedule an appointment.
To cancel an appointment, call the toll-free number 1-888-611-6676.
It can take as long as three weeks to get an appointment so plan ahead. You will most likely need the letter confirming your appointment to enter the consulate or embassy. When making the appointment, be sure to inquire about processing times, as some visa applications may require overnight processing
BEING GRANTED AN APPOINTMENT DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT A VISA WILL BE ISSUED. Applicants for F-1 or J-1 visa will be asked to prove that they don’t have the intention of immigrating to the U.S. Individuals seeking appointments should be aware that applicants may be more likely to encounter difficulties when applying for a visa outside of their home country. If you are refused the F or J visa, you will not be allowed to return to the United States without first obtaining the visa. Usually this means that if your visa is denied, you must return to your home country and apply from there.