How To Apply Visa and Temporary Residents Permit for Malta

Whether you need a visa to learn English in Malta depends on your nationality and the length of your stay.
Should these students want to stay longer than 90 days, they must contact the Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs to apply for a long stay permit for a period of up to one year, or for the remaining duration of their course.
Some Third Country National Students can visit Malta without applying for a visa. These students can study in Malta for a period of less than 3 months (90 days) from the date of arrival. If these students are following a course which is longer than 3 months, these students will need to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit before the 90 days are over to cover his period of studies in Malta.

Students who require a Visa in order to enter the country must apply for one of the following:
a) a long term/national visa (Schengen Type D) from Malta's diplomatic missions or consular posts which will cover the full duration of stay. Students on a type D visa cannot extend their stay once in Malta.
b) a short-stay visa (Schengen Type C) when applying at representations, where Malta has no consular post. Students on a type C Visa staying for a period longer than the maximum 90 days must then apply for a Temporary Residence Permit once in Malta in order to continue their studies.
All embassies will ask you to provide some documents when applying for a visa. Below is a list of what is generally asked for but please note that this may vary from embassy to embassy:
  • Passport
  • Copy of the main page of the passport
  • One passport-size photograph
  • Application form
  • Invitation letter in original (no email, no fax) mentioning personal and passport details of the applicant/s, duration of the stay, duration of the course, cost and whether the fee of the course has been paid or not
  • Confirmation of payment of the course
  • Confirmation of the place where the applicant will stay (hotel, family, friends,...)
  • Flight reservation from your country to Malta
  • Declaration from the school
  • Medical insurance
  • Financial guaranty (minimum 28 Euro per day of stay)
  • Certificate of personal address in your country
  • Family information
  • Visa fee: 82USD up to 90 days, 102 USD more than 90 days (approximate)
All documents required from EC will be sent to you only when we have received full payment. If the visa is then refused and you let us know in writing at least one week before your arrival date we will refund the full sum of money (excluding any bank charges).
If the visa is refused and you inform us less than 1 week before your arrival date, a cancellation fee of 1 week accommodation and tuition will apply. Since some embassies require the original documents (not faxed or emailed) we will courier (DHL) the original documents to you. The price for this is of 88 euros – this fee should be included in the original payment of course and accommodation booked.

Documentation required when applying for a Temporary Residence Permit in Malta:

Students who are staying for a period longer than 3 months and need to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit must submit the following at the Department of Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs in Valletta:
  • The standard Application Form (CEA/20) duly filled-in and signed (available from the EC Reception)
  • Two (2) passport-size photographs
  • A letter of acceptance from EC which will include details on course being undertaken (available from the EC reception)
  • Means of support (foreign transfers, bank account etc) amounting to the minimum amount of €48 per day for the duration of the course and/or extension
  • A health insurance policy valid for Malta for the duration of the course and/or extension
Documents added to an application which are issued abroad must be translated in English and the authenticity of the translation must be certified by a Notary. Documents issued abroad must be legalised or confirmed by a certificate (apostille), unless otherwise stipulated by an international agreement.